When your roof needs replacing or repairs, it is a serious concern, one that requires immediate action. After all, who wants to have their roofing, something that gives them complete protection from the outside elements, vulnerable in its function? You would not want to get wet when your roof leaks, or, worse, get into accidents because of a slippery floor when it rains.
To prevent such a scenario from happening, you need to keep your roofing in top shape. Regular checkups and proper maintenance along with speedy actions when something needs repairing are the keys to having a functional roof that will last long.
But do you know when your roof needs to get checked or what to look for if you suspect something needs an inspection? There may be damages that have to fix asap. Or you might not know it but your roof may already need to be replaced.
Fixing or Replacing Roofs
Changing or fixing roofs can be quite expensive, which makes maintenance and regular inspections valuable. If prevention is better than cure for people, that also applies to roofs.
However, if it can’t be helped and your roof has been under the mercy of extreme weather conditions, then you need to check it and do repairs. Or, if your roof received a beating from strong storms, total replacement might just have to be arranged.
Now, there are some clues as to the condition of your roof. From these clues, you will know whether it needs fixing and changing or not.
Signs Your Roof Need Fixing or Changing
- If your roof is more than 20 years old, have it checked since the usual lifespan of roofs is around 20-25 years.
- The roof shingles are already curling. This signifies wear and tear and tells you that your roof needs to be changed. There may also be underlying problems that warrant thorough inspection.
- The roof valley is in bad shape. Roof valleys are an important part of your roof since this is where rainwater is collected and flows to the gutters. If there are broken or missing shingles on the roof valleys, then it is time for a replacement.
- The chimney flashing is old and shows a tear. These signs say that flashing needs to be changed, and a watertight system has to be the one to replace it.
- Granules can be seen on the gutters. When the roof reaches its lifespan, it loses granules. These granules then end up on the gutters. So, when you see these granules there, you need to call the roofing company.
- Sunshine is peeking from your roof. When daylight is seen through the boards, you can be sure that there is something wrong with your roof. It might need fixing or replacing.
- The roof is sagging. This sign does not need to be explained. It just simply say “change your roof asap!”
If your roof has one or more of the above clues, then it is time for a new one. And since this undertaking is costly, be sure to hire only the best when it comes to roofing. This ensures that your new roof is installed properly and that they get the job done on time.